The Organization of Istanbul Armenians (OIA) of Los Angeles was established in 1976 within the walls of St. Sarkis Church by a group of patriotic and innovative young Istanbul Armenians. The Organization’s main goals and objectives are the following:
- To preserve the Armenian heritage, traditions, and culture through its literature, education, sports, and other benevolent methods.
- To provide scholarships to Armenian students and encourage their desires to continue with their higher education.
- To encourage athletic endeavors.
- To provide aid for Armenian families, students, and individuals through the assistance of advising, monetary aid, securing jobs, and help in translating and interpreting from the Armenian to English language.
- To encourage the further flourishing of Armenian literature through publications in Armenian and English.
OIA History Presentation (2012)